Saturday, June 13, 2009

Grand Canyon!

I had the opportunity to go on a hiking trip to the Grand Canyon this past week. I went with my sister-in-law's 2 sisters, one of their daughters and another friend of theirs (hopefully that's understandable) haha we left monday for the grand canyon, went to see the AMAZING view and see where our trail started monday night. Tuesday was the BIG day for the hike. The plan was to hike down to Indian Gardens (4.5 miles down) rest for a few hours then hike back out. Let me tell you, there were a few times I thought..."oh heck, I'm done!!" But I did it!! I finished, very sore and tired I might add. Total of 9 miles is no joke (well for me anyway) but it was so worth it all. The grand Canyon is amazing and breath-taking.
don't mess with the grand canyon!!


Funny story...I am still laughing at it actually. The animals in and near the grand canyon are very very friendly (due to the fact that people feed them) well we joked when we first started about what will happen if we see a coyote...all I said was that I needed to be able to outrun everyone else and I would be good. hahaha we all had a good laugh at that, well turns out coyotes were the lest of our worries, instead squirrels!!! We laughed the way down how friendly the squirrels were, however, when we were down in Indian Gardens we were eating lunch and a squirrel jumped on the back of my bench and I really thought it was going to jump on my back to get my apple! I jumped off the bench and the squirrel came after me, I nicely kicked it away, but came at me again...this time with its mouth open and little arms up....seriously!! This time I was not so nice, I gave that squirrel and good boot haha and even had to play baseball with it with a hiking pole...and I was not the only one to do this. haha honestly these squirrels are messed up!! The rest of our little rest was spent dodging and scaring away squirrels...and what made it even more funny was when we started hiking back up. I was ahead a little from Nat and Michelle when Nat started laughing and said, "Jen the squirrel is gonna get you." I turn around and the squirrel runs off the trail, Nat said that it was following me on the trail...hahaha and it continued to follow us, when we stopped for a rest the squirrel sat and rested on a rock just watching us. All I can say is that squirrel wanted revenge from me kicking it!!

Only missing Michelle...Our group!!


All in all, the trip was so cool. Thr grand canyon still doesn't look real to me even when I was in it..haha it really does look like a picture standing there overlooking it. I am quite proud of myself for finishing the hike, I am so very sore, but I am so happy I did it!!

1 comment:

DJ said...

You guys are awesome for hiking the grand canyon! I love it! I want to do that. How fun.
Your squirrel story is so funny! How annoying. That's how the birds in SanDiego were last week. It drove me nuts! They would fly at you and land beside you or actually land ON and walk around the table while we were eating. UGGH! Kinlee thought it was cool. I did not!
I love the pictures and I'm loving all your stories and adventures. The time you are in is such a fun time of life! Also I love your new header. You're beautiful Jen!!
iloveyou :) Keep having a blast down there! You are Awesome!