Friday, November 7, 2008

you are special....

Last week I was talking to my brother and we got talking about how confident his wife is and he made the comment, "its because of me..." at that point I chuckled sarcastically, but I totally agree that his wife is confident in herself, Thats one of the reason I look up to her so much. After I laughed, my brother then said, "if a wife is not confident in herself, its because her husband is not doing his job...don't you remember Johnny Lingo?? Johnny Lingo's wife began believing she was beautiful because of Johnny Lingo." Now I have been thinking about this for about a week now, and I keep thinking that it can't be just that. This is where the independent girl inside me comes out and says that it's not just beacuse of men that woman can feel confident and beautiful. The phrase comes to mind, "You have to love yourself to be loved!"

Now if that is the case, that it has to start with yourself...where and how??? We are taught in the scriptures that "the worth of souls is great in the sight of God" Does confidence grow with age? We are always taught that we as woman are Daughters of God...I remember Girls Camp one year we had that theme and I can tell you all week I felt like a true princess, but then I go back to the world, school and all, and that isn't always the case. Then I thought, isn't that what this earth life is about?? We are here on earth of gain earthly bodies, to fight through the struggles and trials of life to eventually gain Eternal Life, and isn't knowing ones worth part that??

Thinking about all about this, I got to thinking about the presidency lesson that I have to give the first week in December. I already decided that I was going to have my lesson be based off the book "You Are Special" by Max Lucado. And that I thought that this would tie in perfect. Now I'm asking how can I make this lesson work?? Any Ideas???

2 comments:

BrandonandJeana said...

Not that my opinion matters, but I have to disagree with one of my brothers. Yes, Muhana had little confidence, but Johnny only aided in bringing that confidence to the surface what Muhana knew all along. We all know that we're children of our Heavenly Father, but sometimes we forget and it just takes reminding. A husband no matter how many times he tells his wife that she is gorgeous, she can still be insecure. If I'm not confindent in who I am, its not because Brandon isn't doing his duty as a husband. Yes, its nice when people tell you you're special, but if I don't have a relationship with my Heavenly Father and Savior, then no amount of compliments are going to help me. It takes an inner strength and higher power for us to realize that. So, I have to disagree with you Jen, a boy or husband cannot make a woman confident alone. Any one of those Wimmicks could have told Punchinello that he was special and those dots wouldn't have fallen off. It took Punchinello going to his Maker, for those dots to fall off, and they didn't all fall off at once. Its building that relationship that makes us realize it. But anyway, about your lesson...good idea, great book. Becky gave a talk once and read the book at the end..you should see if she has her talk saved. Love ya babe!

Stacy Stoddard said...

I also believe that a confident women doesn't come from a confident man. I believe he or anyone around us can aid in building our confidence.

Confidence come from our selves with the help of our heavenly father. We have to want to be confident and with that desire work for us to overcome our insecurities with the help of Heavenly Father.

I have seen many times in my life women searching for happiness through men. They feel that is where there self worth and confidence comes from. NOt one of these women feel they are worth anything without a man, of whom the know are not making them happy either. I wish that these women would realize the only man that can aid in this is Heavenly Father, once they can be confident in themselves, then they can contribute more positively to any relationship.

I recall Pres. Hinkley and several other apostles giving countless talks in conference regarding how special women are and how important we are. You can always search some of those talks.

hope this all makes sense and I am not rambling. anyway good luck on your lesson and I would love to hear how it goes.